I STILL KNOW IT JENN!!!

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Can food network be far off?

Last night, for dinner, I decided to make "something different" since I hadn't really planned for it, I was limited in my available ingredients. I had though about making Adam's Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic, but while searching for a different recipe (just for comparison's sake) I came across "Asian Chicken" in the cookbook "Garlic Galore" compiled by M.H. Cummings, 1993. I don't know where I got this cookbook, but whoever gave it to me - thank you.

Asian Chicken
Serves 4

3 Tbsp peanut oil
3.5 lbs, flying chicken, cut into pieces
1 head of garlic, seperated, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 small dried hot red chili peppers (optional)
3/4 cups distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tbsp honey

1. Heat oil in large, heavy skillet and brown chicken well on all sides, adding garlic and peppers about 5 minutes before end.
2. Add remaining ingredients and cook over medium high heat until chicken is done and sauce has been somewhat reduced about 10 minutes.



3. Removee white meat when done, keeping eye on remaining dark meat to be sure sauce does not boil completely away.

wait for it.......



4. There should be sufficient sauce to serve with chicken. Water may be added as needed.

Now for my variations.
I used 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs and that was probably enough to serve three. I didn't have the chili's on hand, but I threw in one red bell pepper, cut in large chunks, at the same time I threw in the garlic. Since I was using boneless chicken, I threw those in after the chicken had browned on one side only, to allow the veggies enough time to cook. I also added 1 pinch of cayenne pepper, 3 pinches ground ginger and a tbsp zarbs (the classic Asain ingredient). If I made it again I would probably use rice wine vinegar, though I don't know if it would make much difference. You could also add some pineapple chunks if you wanted even MORE of a sweet and sour effect. The final dish.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home