I STILL KNOW IT JENN!!!

Sunday, July 17, 2005

weekend (contains spoilers)

Ok, I have a ton to write and have no idea where to start. I assume chronological order makes the most sense, but I’m sure I’ll forget things here and there…we’ll see what happens.

So Thursday afternoon at about 1 left work and came home, and took the red top taxi to dulles. Everything went smoothly there. The plane left early. I arrived at nyc at about 4. got a cab to my hotel, the metro, on w35th st. my cabbie was from Pakistan and he was really nice. We listened to Indian music and chatted the whole trip. Cost? $49.50. the metro hotel wouldn’t let me check in under Andrea’s name because it was an online reservation. She called and was still on the train and some distance away. So I left my bag at the desk and went to a coffeeshop. I got an Arizona iced green tea and a new magazine called Radar—It’s pretty funny, liberal, pop culture, stupid stuff. I will probably subscribe. At about 6:30 I went back to the hotel lobby and waited for A to arrive. She did. We checked in, rushed up to the 12th floor (no a/c in elevator or hallways at the metro hotel, fyi), and got ready for our play.

******************SPOILER******************
Spamalot is funny. My favorite part was david hyde pierce singing ‘you can’t make it on broadway if you don’t have any jews.’ Tim curry was very good—but it was weird to see him as king Arthur but think of him as the transvestite in rocky horror. A very good time was had by all. The woman lead was SUCH a good singer…she was amazing. No wonder she won a tony. They cracked each other up on stage all night, which I always enjoy.
************END OF SPOILER****************
after the play we met up with lorie and mike. I hadn’t eaten anything most of the day and so we went to planet Hollywood in times square for drinks and food. I had a turkey club. A had a salad. Mike had potato skins. Lorie had some of my fries. We all had 2 beers. L and I sang along with every song…very loudly. we talked about what to do the next day….a said to l ‘how about the museum of modern art?’ and she said “great I want to go there!” which I thought was weird because I wanted to go there too. Through the night, various things were mentioned such as l wanted to see the cloisters (to which I said ‘that’s not modern art’) and mike said it was near central park (and a said ‘it’s 2 blocks from your hotel) and a said she wanted to see the photo exhibit of mt. st. Helens. We agreed to meet ‘at the place at 11 am’. A treated. I got to sleep after 3 am.

The next morning we had starbucks and walked to the moma. Well, at the place at 11 am we realized that l and m went to the met. They’re crazy folk. And they fundamentally don’t believe in carrying their cell phone unless they’re in the car, then it’s in the ‘off’ position. So a and I enjoyed the moma. We saw this exhibit comparing cezanne to pissaro, and we decided that we like pissaro better. We bitched at the paintings called “blue monochrome” and “black circles” and decided that any sculpture that calls itself “Object” is not art. Also, the black frigging canvas that is titled “Abstract” is not art either. We bitched about pretentious art people. We saw a lot of Picasso and some lichtenstein and Warhol and klimt and monet and dali and all kinds of good stuff, but we also saw whole galleries of absolute shit.

After the moma we went to a street vendor where I got a hot dog and a got a pretzel that had altogether too much salt for me. I almost gagged—thank blog I had just bought a big water. We decided to go wait in the LONG LONG LONG line for half price tickets, to try to get something for a play called “the pillowman” starring jeff goldblum and billy cudrup. After we waited an hour in line, a flyer girl told us that the line we were in was for musicals, and the ‘play’ line was empty. We were skeptical so a stood in line and I went to investigate. Surely enough, the “plays only” line was 5 people long, and I got our half price tickets in row L in the orchestra, no less! By the time I got the tickets, a had worked up to the front of the line, so we had waited there for nothing. After we got our tickets I was famished and exhausted so we went to this place called maxie’s in time’s square. I had a cheeseburger and a had one of the most giantest salads I’ve ever seen. It was overpriced and the service sucked. I drank 3 cokes and a water. On the trek back to the hotel we stopped at a different starbucks. Oh we also went to a bead store…a is into beading right now. At the hotel I took a COLD shower—nyc was frickin hot and humid. We got ready and went to our play.

********SPOILER*******************
the pillowman is a story about a writer—billy cudrup—who is subjected to this experiment whereby his parents are nice and sweet and nurturing to him, encouraging him to write. Conversely, he has a brother in the next room he doesn’t know about hidden behind a wall who is tortured and beaten his whole life. The writer hears horrible sounds and noises and eventually starts writing some fucked up shit. He discovers his brother near death when he is 14, kills his mom and dad, and takes care of his brother. Well, several years later, his brother conducts a series of murders based on the f-ed up stories, and the writer gets interrogated (by jeff goldblum) for committing the crimes. When the writer finds out his brother is guilty, he murders him as well, of mice and men style. At the end of the play, the writer is killed for killing his mom, dad, and brother.
*********END OF SPOILER***********
the rumor was that Christian slater was in the audience, I thought I saw his hairline. However, because this had to be crazy girl’s weekend in the city, by the end of the night I was saying that Christian and I had met at the play, gotten married, but split up because jeff goldblum had stolen me away.

We met up with l and m at this place called houlihan’s. I had 2 pina coladas, a Smirnoff ice, and we all shared nachos and wings. Everyone else had 3 beers. M treated. L and m walked us back towards our hotel through times square, I think m wanted to protect us, that was sweet. I got to sleep after 3 am.

Saturday was very leisurely. We walked around our neighborhood a little, went to the bead store again, and went to a diner on 7th ave for breakfast…I had poached eggs on corned beef hash with a bagel, and a had a bacon omlette with a bagel. We both ate too much. We checked out of the hotel and walked to penn station, where we parted ways. I got to kennedy at about 2 to find out that my flight was at 5. however, the 2:15 flight hadn’t yet boarded and was delayed until 2:40 so I asked if I could get on that plane and they said yes.

Well when the plane boarded, I got on, buckled, and read my magazine. Well, the ticket lady said there was too much freight on the plane and asked for a volunteer to give up their seat for a 100$ credit. I volunteered, because hey, it wasn’t really my flight anyway. Long story short after that—dulles was closed for 8 hours (thunderstorm), my flight was cancelled, and 12 hours and 4 boarding passes later, I was on a flight to dulles. I got home at 3:15 am. I have done nothing of note today, which you can imagine. That was my weekend. a vvgtwhba.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home